Monday, September 5, 2011

Week Six-- Cherry Pickles


Yes, you read that right. Cherry Pickles. Obviously this is a very simple project, made even simpler by the fact that we used prepared pickles. I'm sure that you could make your own pickles, but for the sake of this project, I can't imagine why you'd go to that trouble.


Ingredients:


  • Dill pickles.

  • Cherry Koolaid mix -- we used sugar free, but you could probably just use the regular mix without the sugar mixed in. Results may vary, however.

  • A jar

What you do:


The original recipe called for turning a whole jar of pickles into cherry pickles, but I thought that maybe we'd just start with three. Besides, three was all my jar would hold.


1.Pour some of the pickling liquid into an empty jar. Don't fill it more than half full or you'll risk a flood of brine.


2.Add the cherry Koolaid mix. I used enough to make around a quart. Obviously far more than needed to make my liquid cherry-y, but I figured we might as well go for it.


3.Put the lid on the jar and shake.


4. Slice up as many pickles as you can fit into the jar. I used three for my pint jar.


5. Put the pickles in the jar. Put on the lid and let sit in the refrigerator for, well, as long as you can stand to wait. I figure about a week should do it.


I have no idea if these will be good, but I'll post our results. Stay tuned.







No comments:

Post a Comment